by: Derek Gehl
Starting your own blog is, quite simply, a fabulous idea for your business. Not only does it help you add a personal face to your business, it’s also a GREAT way to get free traffic from Google and the other search engines.
(Because there’s nothing they like more then fresh, original, and frequently updated content!)
However, when I tell my students they need to start their own blog, they often look at me like I’m crazy.
“But I’m not a writer!” they cry. “What on earth could I possibly write about that would interest my visitors?”
The good news is, you don’t HAVE to be a professional writer to have an incredibly successful blog. All you have to do is be able to write passionately about the subjects that matter to your industry, and let your personality shine through so people can feel like they know you..
And while we do recommend you try to publish at least 2-3 posts on your blog a week, they don’t have to be very long! In fact, they shouldn’t be. People don’t go to blogs expecting to read in-depth essays. A blog post that’s only 200 words — or even shorter — is perfectly fine.
(To give you an idea of how long that is, by the time I reach the end of this sentence, this blog post will be 231 words long.)
The challenge most people experience is having to come up with different things to write about all the time. So to help with that, today I’d like to share my…
20 Great Ideas For What To Write About On Your Blog!
- Tips on how to make the best possible use of your product
- Tips on how to use other products that are related to your product in some way
- Great places to go online when searching for information related to your industry
- An interesting experience you just had with a customer
- Your thoughts on a recent news story that relates to your industry in some way
- A list of your top 10 “Frequently Asked Questions” — and your answers to them
- The strangest question a customer ever asked about your product
- Reviews of non-competitive but related products you think your visitors might be interested in
- What you always dreamed of doing as a child — and how that relates to the business you’re running now
- What made you decide to get into your particular industry
- New product ideas you’re working on
- Something your partner/child/friend once said that made you think of your product or industry in a whole different way
- A memorable customer service experience you recently had. (It can be memorable because it’s particularly good… OR because it’s particularly bad.)
- A brief “day in the life of” snapshot of your daily itinerary. What do you do all day long, in order to serve your customers in the best way possible?
- An interesting personal event that just took place within your business. (E.g., maybe an employee just got married and you’d like to tell your customers what a big help she is around the office.)
- Your favorite quotes from famous people — and how you apply them to your business or industry
- A story you recently read about a celebrity doing something related to your industry in some way
- A recent trip you took — and any insights you may have had on the journey that are helping you with your business in some way
- A recent movie you saw, whose plot is related to your business or industry in some way.
- Whether you drink coffee or tea — and if it helps you run your business or not. (Seriously… people LOVE knowing personal details — it helps them put a “face” on the person behind the website.)
Okay… those are just a few ideas to get you started! If you have any other topics you want to add to this list, leave us a comment and tell us about them!
To your blogging success,